October Stitching – The Finishes!

I had a pretty awesome October as far as Halloween-themed stitching goes!  First, the finishes:

Blessed by by Enchanting Lair on 16 ct.  Silkweaver Green Apple opalescent Aida using custom colors and more blending filament than the law should allow!

 

Witchy-Washy by Raise the Roof Designs om 28 ct. white opalescent Lugana using  Crescent Colours Caribbean Waters for the bloomers and Sunflower for the stars and moons, ThreadWorx purple, black Treasure Braid for the boots and recommended DMC’s for everything else.

Something Wicked by La D Da on 32 ct. French white Belfast using recommended DMC’s

Blessed Be by Plum Pudding Needleart on 32 ct. Silkweaver Castle View Belfast using Crescent Colours and Dinky Dyes silks

I had two other finishes this month but with Christmas close by I can’t share them. 😉

Stash Dash

I picked up Circle of Friends by Mirabilia when it was first released but I truly hated the suggested fabric for it. The brown tone was much too dark for my tastes.

The design is quite large (146w x 238h) and the piece of fabric needed would be expensive due to the size of the stitching and the space required for framing.

I had a rather large piece of 28ct Lugana that was given to me. The color was a peachy yellow pinky color. I know it was a Silkweaver fabric so it was probably Sparkling Sundown Reflections. It was a pretty fabric and my floss toss looked nice on the fabric so I decided to go for it.

What a mistake!

The goddess on the far left matches the fabric too closely. There is no definition between the fabric and the flesh tone. All in all, the color was too light for the project. There was no “pop” of the colors.  I guess those design artists really do know what they are doing. 🙂

I put the project aside for a few months. I had NO desire to work on it. The joy of seeing each stitch come to life on the fabric was ruined. The fabric made the design look cheap – 1980’s chic pastels. I knew I could not continue the project on that fabric BUT I still did not like the artist’s original fabric!!

Picky, aren’t I?

I decided I had only one option. I had to go to my favorite cross stitch shop ABC Stitch Therapy in New Hampshire. I made a weekend of it since I had use of my company’s condo in the White Mountains. During that first weekend in May I was blessed with lovely weather for my three hour drive. There was no traffic and no problems. It was a true treat!!

Once I got to the shop I went straight to the fabric executing floss tosses on various fabrics. After a half dozen options I settled on a length of 28ct Lugana dyed by Silkweaver called Ametrine.

I felt the goddesses would look divine on this! It has a rich brown and gold overall tone (so hard to tell on a digital photo) with purples and blues. Gorgeous! And it really does look like an actually piece of ametrine!

Happy with my new piece of fabric I had to resign myself to the fact that I would have to redo all the stitches I had previously done. It was worth it! What was the point in finishing a piece I could no longer stand. Putting the stitches in the new fabric felt wonderful! I have done a little more work on this since the photo but I have put aside my stitching until I finished my home decor revamp!

The colors really do pop on the fabric and there are some wonderful bursts of blue and purple that will be viewable when framed.

I am happy I made the decision to start over. I figured since I was already at the stitchy shop and had used a tank of gas to get there I should really shop around. I really had to twist my own arm to browse the store!

I just had to pick up Something Wicked by La D Da to whip up for this Halloween.

I also decided I had waited long enough to buy Holly from the Pixie Couture Collection by Nora Corbett. I already had the perfect creamy Belfast opalescent linen but I made sure to pick up the beads and Kreniks there too.

This little Lizzie Kate sweetie was sentimental enough to get me to spend $6 for such a tiny pattern. I grabbed the DMC for this one too since I knew I didn’t have those color in my bobbin boxes.

Another piece of hand dyed fabric from New Zealand made my stash dash complete and I can’t wait to do another one someday soon!!!