Where to begin?

So much has happened since my last blog that I don’t know where to start chronologically so I apologize for the rambling nature of this post.

I have a very long-haired cat with a thick, sticky undercoat. It is difficult to brush her sometimes and almost impossible to see her skin under her coat. A friend’s cat and my sister’s cats had fleas so when I happened to walk by the cat care section while shopping during lunch on Friday I grabbed some Hartz In Control Flea& Tick Drops manufactured by Hartz Mountain Corporation.

After working late on Friday and stopping at the grocery I finally arrived home and began to unload the car. I had so much to get done Friday night. The first “open to the public” meeting of the Rhode Island Stitchers group was meeting Saturday morning at a local library.

In between making mac n cheese from scratch I had signs to print out, an easel to put together (with shitty assembly instructions I might add), my cat’s new incline scratcher to assemble and my cross stitch bags to pack!

I started with the cat scratcher, then got the mac n cheese in the oven, read the flea drop directions and applied them to Sparrow and finally, plopped down in the middle of my living room floor so I could watch the Catherine Zeta-Jones Biography and put together the easel.

Maybe 10 minutes went by when Sparrow came to lay next to me. She shook her back leg a few times as she ambled over. I didn’t pay much attention to that until I saw the right side of her face jerk up and her ears started twitching.

I reached over to pet her in my usual spot – behind her head and above her shoulders – which was the same place I had put the flea medicine. My fingertips began to BURN. While I stared at my hand I glanced at the cat who was now drooling and twitching. I grabbed the medicine box and saw that I had to bathe the animal with lots of water if there was a reaction. Twenty minutes had gone by from the initial application.

Into the tub we went. The cat who fights me constantly with bathing and grooming did nothing but stand there calmly while I scrubbed the back of her neck with Dawn dishwashing liquid and rinsed her over and over and over again with warm water.

She was still twitching and shaking and was wetting herself in the tub. At this point it was around 10pm and I had tears streaming down my face while I told my bundle of fluff and stuff that I was trying to fix it. A second bath followed that first one when I still smelled the flea oil on her neck.

At midnight I climbed into bed with a shivering, twitching, drooling kitty. Her symptoms have slowed down considerably since Friday night. The fact that she has had  dose of cornstarch in her fur to blot up the oil and two more baths after that hasn’t hurt.

I am still watching her carefully. She is not her old self and obviously doesn’t feel well. She keeps coming over wanting me to scratch the back of her head where the medicine was. If I try to pet her anywhere else she hisses like it hurts her. I can scratch the medicine stop as hard as I want and it doesn’t seem to bother her. It makes me think that area is numb and the rest of her muscles are tender to the touch.

Needless to say poor kitty cat has gotten tuna, catnip, treats and snuggles all weekend. I truly hated leaving for work this morning and leaving her unattended for the day.

*sigh* on to happier things!

The first meet-up of the Rhode Islander Stitchers, technically consisting of four facebook friends, was held August 1st at a local Panera Bread. It was the first “real life” meeting for all of us and thankfully we hit it off! Talk about being relieved! My Mom and I have been talking about finding, or starting, a cross stitch group for at least the past five years. There are knitting groups galore but they aren’t exactly warm and fuzzy with you if you don’t knit!

Thankfully I found a like minded stitching sister in Melissa who whipped up a group on facebook faster than you could say….well, whatever you want to say, but it was fast! After I realized that it would be me, my Mom, Melissa and Anne at our meet-up I knew we had to infect more people to our stitching ways.

I booked some space at the local library and hung up flyers and posted on Craigslist. This past Saturday was our first “public welcome” and I must say it was a smashing success. Everyone pitched in to make it a really fun morning. Snacks and drinks were provided and there was lots of stop in traffic.

I put a finished cross stitch piece on the previously-mentioned-pain-in-the-ass-to-put-together-easel in the hallway of the library with a note inviting people to stop in. From the looks of things we may have gone from the core group of four to maybe 13 or 14 people! whoop! I did mention to Melissa that while I enjoyed sticking our stitchy needle to infect the masses I also enjoy our small group dynamic too much to give it up. She agreed (yay!) and we made plans to have small get togethers for stitching as well as the larger groups where we could take turns teaching.

I am so thankful for this little community of stitchers. Things aren’t the easiest right now and they are my little beacon of light.  My stitchy bug has returned with a fervor and I have just started my Lizzie Kate Love Snippett and am almost done with my Hope for a Cure blackwork mandala for my Mom. I picked a medium raspberry (for breast cancer) DMC and am using a light lavendar opalescent linen.

More catching up later but at least this is a start!


  1. Oh my!!!!!! Hope kitty is 100% soon!!! So glad you have a stitching group!!! I so love mine. I go to a knitting shop as well but with close friends and the knitters there aren’t as welcoming either….must be a close group is all I can think of……luckily there are 2 tables so we just take the second one…….the staff is great at both shoppes! Good to see you writing again!!!!!

  2. oh no.. poor sparrow! i had no idea this happened!! we are lucky that mayhem has showed no reaction..

    and YAY for our stitching group.. my linen came in and i’m going to go through my floss and see what i have/need for my first heaven and earth designs project.. hopefully i’ll see you ladies on the 28th!

  3. Poor baby! That flea medication makes me break out – I have to be very careful not to get any on me. Luckily our fur babies don’t notice it.

  4. Wait… what?!? Where the hell have I been the last couple weeks with this happening to Sparrow?!? Poor kitty. Hopefully she gets better soon.

    And yes, I think a mix of private and public groups are a good thing – sometimes you just need a smaller, more private group when things are a bit more *cough* trying. My brain’s still spinning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s